
I am not a political person. I usually sit by the sidelines, watching quietly, then vote...pretty much keeping my opinion to myself. I am more interested in other things like quilting and rug hooking and disinfection by-products in our water distribution systems. Politics is just not one of those things that I am passionate about. I have a friend, however, who is extremely passionate about politics...more specifically, she is passionate about supporting one particular presidential candidate. So, when she asked for volunteers to help out with Hillary's visit today, I thought "why not?" I've never gone to a political rally of any sort. (When Reagan came to NC State back in the day, I had concrete lab and playing in concrete mud was MUCH more entertaining.)
I took a couple hours off of work this afternoon and went over to the community college gym. I painted signs and handed out stuff. I was searched by secret service twice and if you were paying close attention to the 11:00 news, I was on TV. I was lucky enough to get a seat on the bleachers about 30 feet from the stage and I met some interesting people. After about 2 hours, Hillary made it to the gym and the crowd went wild. I have to admit, it was exciting to actually be there, not just see it on TV. It was exciting to see how diverse that room of 700 people was and how well they got along even after waiting all day in the hot sun and waiting longer in a stuffy gym, not knowing how late she would be (an hour and a half late by the way). Her speech was inspiring no matter what you believe or who you support. I do not believe for one minute that she (or anyone) can make all those things she said come true. But, it's nice to sit back for a minute and think what a wonderful world it would be if they did.
Will I vote for Hillary? That's for me to know. But I am paying more attention than I was a few hours ago.
I did realized one thing during her speech. She asked for a raise of hands of those in the room who were still paying off student loans. I was amazed at how many people raised their hands. I'm not talking 20 year olds. I'm talking 40 and 50-somethings. I'm going to write my parents a thank you note. Eight years at NC State and I didn't pay a dime. And because they did provide me with a college education, I have a good job; I have health insurance; I have hope of retirement; I have my own house; I can support myself. If I gained anything from the experience today it was to see that I am a blessed person in more ways than I knew.
3 comments:
Amen to the blessing of a free college eduction! I didn't appreciate it until I paid for my own MBA.
My daughter has thanked her Dad and I many times over, she understands that she's in a vast minority (along with you and Nane)who aren't paying off student loans. I met Julie Nixon Eisenhower when I was in college, she was campaigning for her Dad. She shook my hand and there was a photo of that meeting in the Montpelier, VT newspaper the next day. I was noted as an "unidentified Vermont College student". It's tough to be famous.
I am sooooooo blessed to know Famous PEOPLE.....LOL
I have always been told its not what you know, but WHO you know....WOW what company to be in ...............
J
PS, I love ya'll
Post a Comment