Saturday, February 16, 2008

UFO Update & the Quilt Studio

I had a pretty good UFO month in January...mostly because I finished the stack of preemie quilts I had. Most of my quilting friends know I have two major projects going on right now - organizing my quilt room and reducing my UFOs. They actually go hand-in-hand. Both the number of UFOs and the huge mess in my quilt room had become overwhelming. (The picture below I call "UFOs Attacking a Rocking Chair".


As of today, here's how the UFOs breaks down. The first number is where I am today. The second number is where I was a month ago.

Unstarted quilts - 89/92
Quilts cut out - 12/13
Blocks pieced - 5/6
Blocks appliqued - 2/2
Quilt top pieced - 4/4
Borders on - 13/13
Quilt basted - 5/5
Quilted - 0/19
Binding on (but not whipped down) - 6/15
Quilts complete - 71/42

So since last May, I have reduced my UFO count from 209 to 138.

You can imagine that 209 UFOs take up a lot of room. Most are now in bins and boxes in a hall closet I used to store fabric before the great quilt room makeover. The rest are strategically located throughout my quilt room as decorations. I can't give too much information away because in a couple of weeks my friend and I are doing a program at our local quilt guild meeting about organizing your quilt space. I will tell you it has been an eye-opening expereince and not just a little stressful. There is a reason I am a pack rat. I don't like it but I am. I have a theory as to why I do what I do but I'll save that for the guild presentation...and the book.

Anyway, today, we finished the quilt room. Well, actually, not a quilt room anymore. It's more like a studio becuase I have officially taken over two rooms. My poor husband...all he has is a couch and one corner of the kitchen counter.

3 comments:

quiltkeemosabe said...

I can't wait to hear the "secrets" at the guild program!!! I think I may need them!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I'll be there to hear your presentation, legal pad in hand and pencil poised...

Nane said...

What a machine....great job on the UFO reduction process. And I know the families that will get the preemie quilts will treasure them.