I'm busy. My lists have lists. But sometimes a project comes along that is so special, I have to drop everything to make it happen.
Her friend, Matthew, was finishing up his residency. There were 42 residents who had gone through this process together...a process that I cannot imagine enduring. As would be expected, these 42 people had developed a bond through all the blood, sweat and tears of completing a residency. All were impacted when they found out that one had leukemia and Matt felt the need to do something to make sure she knew they love her and support her and are there for her.
He wanted to make a quilt so he contacted his "aunt" Laura who sent him to me...because of the deadline.
Did I mention the deadline? It was a bit tight. But as I said, some things are worth making happen no matter what.
His idea was to collect everyone's embroidery off their coats and incorporate them into a quilt. (Residents have short white coats. When they complete their residency and become doctors, they get long coats.)
So, I designed a quilt and he gathered the patches and sent them to me.
A week later, I'm meeting his father-in-law to hand over the finished quilt.
Told ya it was a tight deadline...but so worth it.
Projects like this remind me why I love to quilt so very much. And I don't know about the rest of the quilty world, but when I'm working on a project for someone, even someone I have never met, I think about that person with every stitch. I think good thoughts and say little prayers wishing them well. I hope that Caroline can feel it because there's a lot of love poured into this quilt...a little from me and a lot from 41 people who love her.
God speed to the class of 2014.


5 comments:
what a wonderful quilt, for a wonderful person! its filled with love!
I can just imagine the love and support she will feel when she receives that quilt. You are a special person to make that possible. It's a lovely quilt.
I love quilts with special stories. It's a great layout.
That's a good layout and I know it will be special for the new owner.
Fabulous quilt. I can't seem to put as much effort into a quilt if it isn't for someone. Just doing them for the sake of doing one doesn't work for me.
Post a Comment