Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Blue Moons and Wild Boys

Friday we headed down to my folks' house on the beach for Labor Day weekend.  Because David had a meeting in Wake Forest that morning, we actually got out of town early and were the first ones to arrive at the house for a change.  We have a few minutes to enjoy dinner and see the blue moon.


It was blissfully quiet...

...which didn't last long.

First, my "brother" Larry arrived with his 12 year-old son, John.

Still pretty quiet.

On their heels, though, came my parents and three nephews.

Let the insanity ensue!

For someone who is used to living with one laid-back man and a sleepy dog, a house full of people is, well, insane.

I escaped to the grocery store several times...and upstairs to work a lot...but the house is literally rocking with bouncy boys fighting to be the alpha.  (Yes, literally...it's on stilts, you see.)

And because I don't have children and only see these children every now and then, I am constantly amazed at how they change into people and how highly entertaining they are.

Saturday evening, my brother and his wife arrive and adds another whole dimension of crazy.  My brother almost immediately starts cooking.  His comment to me last week when I asked eat in or eat out on Saturday night at the beach was "no way I'm taking that pack of wolves out to a restaurant at the beach on Labor Day weekend.  It'll bankrupt me and I can cook better than any restaurant anyway."


He's got several points there.  Shrimp and grits and his homemade hush puppies?  Just kill me now.

Sunday we did get a few minutes of quiet.  Larry and John left for home and the rest of the herd went to Toys-r-Us in Myrtle Beach for my Dad's traditional birthday treat.  He lets the boys fill up a cart with whatever they want and he buys it.

Yes, the man is insane...but in a good way.

When they got back home, there was enough pizza to feed an army and birthday cakes for the two youngest.

 

 Monday morning after my brother fixed breakfast for us all (again), we loaded up and headed west.

Shelby has been sleeping ever since.



3 comments:

Impera Magna said...

What a fun weekend... glad you and Shelby survived!

:)

Becky G said...

We have a huge family & now most all teh young'uns can move about freely. Even if I put in earplugs & covered my eyes, the sheer energy expended by the young would be palpable! Your trip sounds like a rollicking good time. Glad you had some quiet to brace for the onslaught & down time to recoup. Love your family stories, gald you share them.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Happy days, thanks for sharing your family stories with us! I laugh thinking about your Dad and the Toys 'R Us shopping cart... whoa!