We had a big time in San Antonio. It got off to a rough start but all's well that ends well.
The rough start...
my leg is trying to kill me. The infection "came back" last week (i.e. it never really went away) so I got another antibiotic shot an
d the doc put me back on amoxicillan - just more of it. Then I had an MRI...which showed the big problem is underneath but not in the bone. I'll be going to the Wound Center tomorrow to find out what they will do about that. But that's just the beginning of the "fun". My body decided it didn't like amoxicillan anymore and by the time we for to San Antonio, I was in full allergic mode - head to toe hives. (ooh so lovely but worse - itchy). So, after checking in and settling into the hotel room (here's a photo of the view from the room...nice, huh!), the first stop on the San Antonio tour was the hospital.
Luckily, Charlie, my new friend and travel buddy from Dallas, Texas, had a car and we went off on an excellent adventure to find the clinic in downtown San Antonio. We did and they have me an antihistamine shot, new antibiotics and prescription antihistamines. One dose and I was feeling better already.
It was worth the trip just to see the building - the Nix Health Clinic was built in 1930 and is a beautiful art deco building. It's also where Carol Burnett was born (but we didn't learn that until later...on the river boat tour). Plus Charlie and I were the first ones in our bunch to get to see the Alamo...you have to look for the silver lining everywhere sometimes.
Another short trip to Walgreens for prescriptions and other supplies (where the pharmacist told me since I had this reaction, I am now allergic to penicillin forever - news I can use), and we're off to the hotel for better adventures.
Well, the first night we walked to The Fairmont Hotel and had a wonderful dinner at Tre, an Italian restaurant. We also got to tour one of the rooms of the historic hotel and meet the hotel dog, Luke, the biggest yellow lab I've ever seen.
We had most of Monday to sight see. We hopped on the trolley and headed for Market Square - the Murcado - where we had breakfast and shopped, shopped, shopped.
We then hopped on the trolley to see the Alamo. It really is incredible.
Monday night was the Opening Ceremonies for Bernina University and everyone gets all dudded up - in this case, in their western wear. The Sew Original Ladies are known as the Hat Ladies because every year they wear matching hats. This year we figured everyone would be wearing cowboy hats, so we went a little different route - tiny cowboy hats with big yellow roses. Cute, huh?
At the Opening Ceremonies, we were entertained and got our first glimpse of the new line of Berninas.
We also got to catch up with far-flung friends. Here's me with Hans and Heinz - Hans is Director of Technical Education and Heinz is one of the technicians I pester on a weekly basis now.
The rest of the week was packed with classes and visits to the vendor mall to look (and order) new things for the shop. It's VERY overwhelming and way too much fun. In the evenings we took in San Antonio - hitting the Riverwalk and the many restaurants.
On Thursday night four of us got to go to the Century Club party at the Buckhorn Saloon and Texas Ranger Museum. There was plenty of food and margaritas - and line dancing - and no, I didn't.
Friday night was the Armadillo Ball which was the end of the BU festivities. Here's me and Emily ...with the armadillo...how scary is THAT?
In spite of my leg and in spite of itching like I had the pox all week, I had an unbelievable time.
The whole week one thought kept running through my mind - I am where I'm supposed to be.
Thanks to Shirley.
Thanks to David.
Thanks to God.
7 comments:
Thanks to you... for a wonderful post. I know you had a great time and learned all sorts of new things that you will teach us as time goes on. Glad you're staying on top of things with the leg, the injury that just won't go away. Welcome home!
Except for the leg part, you look like you had just too much fun! Good job.
Just grinning throughout the reading of this! (except for the leg) And resisting any comments about not having a leg to stand on . . . .
I'm glad you all had a great time in San Antonio and hope that your poor leg is now on its way to being 100% again! Take care!
Love San Antonio, we used to get to go there in High School for Spanish Club conventions. Keep me posted on that leg, I hope they can get it better soon as it won't be long before the weather is perfect for some hikes.
I also love that you are getting to follow your dreams, I admit I have a little job envy right now.
HOpe you are doing much better today and the doctors are able to get you fixed up for good.
I am glad you were able to have a good time despite your bum leg and all the itching. I had an allergic reaction to medicine once so I know exactly what you were feeling.
I can so relate to the head-to-toe hives as an allergic reaction. Sorry you had to deal with that misery! This looks like a wonderful trip, in spite of being sidetracked by the "injury that just won't go away."!
Post a Comment