Sunday, May 22, 2011

Bring on the Summer


This weekend has felt like the beginning of summer to me - a baseball game, trail riding and just a tad too hot for my taste.



Friday night we went to the Dash game with the Winston-Salem Ski & Outing Club. I got extra tickets so my folks and my nephews could come too. One nephew made it and he had a big ol' time. I'd show you pictures if I could figure out how to get them off my phone my camera battery was dead).



Yesterday the WSSOC did the first segment of the New River Trail from Pulaski to Allisonia, Virginia. Out and back was 24 miles. Out was uphill most of the way and it was a bit of a struggle - which is what happens when you only get it one ride before taking on a trip like this. Back was much easier - until I took a spill in Draper. My shin swelled up like a football. Luckily it were right next to the General Store when it happened and I was able to ice it for a bit. It was fine for the remaining 7 miles but it was uncomfortable on the trip home. Today, the swelling is down about half way and it is nasty looking and sore. No jeans for me this week! That's what I get for being a boneheaded klutz.







Today, early church and maybe an art reception at Chelsee's this afternoon. It's hot...and we still have no air conditioning...so I may park it on the couch in front of the fan with a bag of ice and some handwork.




ahhh, summertime....

6 comments:

Impera Magna said...

So sorry about your spill... *ouchie* ...hope it heals quickly!

You're right about the summer heat arriving... *whew*

GeeMa said...

Sounds like a fun ride. Hope you heal quickly and the a/c gets fixed soon.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I'm a klutz too. I hope your shin heals quickly, keep it clean. Yep, summer temps are here, ready or not!

Nane said...

Wow you are right...we went from cool and rainy to hot and humid fast. And I really appreciate the selfless way you ran into that picnic table in order to save me!!!! Hope the leg heals fast, and maybe David will take over the cooking and cleaning duties for a few nights.

StitchinByTheLake said...

So sorry you had a nasty fall but what a wonderful outing it was! My sense of balance is awful so I don't even attempt a bike after the last time I went down face first. :) blessings, marlene

Carrie P. said...

I see 90's are in the forecast this week. Hopefully you will get your air conditioner fixed quickly.
Hope your leg is getting better. That is tough.
We have done the New River trail many times when our kids were younger. I enjoy that trail a lot.
Happy Memorial Day.