Friday, August 8, 2008

Ah, Savannah...



Well, our computer guru came by last night and ended up taking the blasted thing home with him. He'll figure it out, I'm sure and I'll be back in business. In the meantime, I'll take a little personal time at my work computer. It is Friday after all...

So...Savannah was great. It was HOT but we had a blast anyway. By the time the whole crew got there, we had taken over the entire Savannah Bed and Breakfast Inn. Having everyone there together was great because we got to catch up with family we had not seen in 15 - 20 years.


The wedding was beautiful and all the festivities before and after were too much fun. My cousin, the Bride, made arrangements for a hospitality cottage at the B&B where everyone could gather after the parties and talk until the wee hours. It really was wonderful.


The bride's brothers (pictured below left and middle) live in Florida and California so I don't see them often. The young red-head on the right is my Florida cousin's stepson. The last time I saw him, he still had baby teeth.




The Bride was gorgeous as always. It's really not fair. I didn't look like that in my 20's so I doubt I'll look like that at 50-something.



The reception was held at the Oglethorpe Club in Historic Savannah. It was established in 1860 (or 1870, can't remember which now) as a Gentleman's Club and it remains that way today. From what I understand there are 100 members. No women. Too bad for them...but it is a gorgeous building. Here's Mom and Aunts going in to check things out for the reception.

Here's the scene later on that night. I have lots of embarrassing dancing pictures to share at the next family reunion. That's my husband in the pink shirt, my cousin and her husband, and a close friend having too much fun. They really should play "Play That Funky Music White Boy" with those two guys around. They are hysterical enough without the DJs help.




Here's a little earlier in the evening. The Mother of the Bride (my aunt) and my cousin's husband who felt it was hie obligation to get everyone on the dance floor before the night was over. (Yes, including me, but I'm not going to post THAT picture!)


Backtrack to Friday night before the rehearsal dinner. We all met at the bride and groom's house which was lovely. Here they are opining my gift to them. The Bride used to make clothes for me when I was little so the gift had to be a good one. I had guessed at the colors to use since I'd never been to this house. I did pretty good, didn't I?

We did actually do a little sightseeing in spite of the heat. Here's Mom and Dad at Forsyth Park.

The Mercer House was right around the corner from the B&B. Made famous by "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil", no Mercer ever actually lived there. Johnny Mercer's great grandfather started building it before the Civil War but someone else finished it afterwards. Jim William's (from "the book") sister still lives there and has it open for tours.



Other things we discovered:

  1. The Oglethorpe $10 trolley tour is actually the best tour. It's half the price and twice as good.
  2. The Pirate House is good for a southern buffet but not great; however, you go there for the atmosphere more than anything.
  3. Everyone says for the best southern food, go to Mrs. Wilkes. Go early though because the line is unbelievable.
  4. The Old Pink House is a wonderful restaurant. Fried lobster tails...need I say more?
  5. River Street is great to bar hop (if you're into that that) but not much else.
  6. You never know what you'll see next... we even met Forrest Gump.

6 comments:

Todd, Kari, Anna and Gracie said...

LOLOLOL..I LOVED every picture!! Thanks for sharing!!!It looked like a fantastic celebration!! Now, we just need some pictures YOU!! I LOVE pictures!

I really enjoyed them!! Have a great weekend!!!

Todd, Kari, Anna and Gracie said...

What I meant to say..."Pictures of you getting down and dirty while dancing the night away!!! ((SMILE))

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Life really is a box of chocolates! ;) So, didn't you just love the B&B?

quiltkeemosabe said...

Makes me anxious to go back to Savannah. Need to check out the places you mentioned.Have heard and seen most of them but never tried them out. (Spending too much time at Lady & Sons, Bubba's Seafood and the beach at Tybee) Glad your family wedding was so much fun!

Tipper said...

Looks like a fun wedding and trip!

Karen said...

I have wanted to tour Savannah for a long time, but we always end up going somewhere else.