Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Gifts

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas Day. As usual ours was just slightly controlled chaos. Christmas Eve is a day of travel - not far - just a big circle to visit nearby family. We end the day with a late night travel to my parent's house to spend the night. Never in my life have I spent Christmas Eve night separated from my parents. I am one of the few lucky ones. At 42 I am aware of this blessing - much more so than I was at ages much younger.

This year there was an abundance of children. For two childless people, this is also a blessing but in many ways.
  • We get to laugh at all the antics that parents don't seem to find quite as amusing.

  • We become awestruck at how much each child has grown since the last sighting.

  • We get to give each child gifts that may annoy their parent or grandparent (i.e. the remote control snake we brought my nephew).

  • We get to wave goodbye to them as we return to our quiet little house.

Two nephews and a friend chasing bubbles. Dad, brother and husband watching in the background.





In the background, two guys opening up a box with a million pieces. Two girls playing nicely on the floor and two little boys perched on the pool table...the normal use for this particular pool table, by the way.

One happy little boy with a great big truck.









A nephew buried in wrapping paper.








And my favorite... a grandfather buried in grandchildren, including a furry one.

Once again, it was a Chrsitmas full of the best gifts - the kind that are people - not packages.

3 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Merry Christmas, dear friend! I loved this post, you're so right.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nane said...

Dad claims their house goes from Ringling Brothers (when my sisters and their four kids are home) to On Golden Pond when we all leave. Each Special! Enjoyed seeing your family!